Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Project a Week?!

I have been working hard lately trying to finish many "works in progress" while also starting new projects. I have accomplished quite a bit. With the new year still fresh I decided to expand my definition of project beyond sewing projects to any project I have on my "to do" list, large or small. I also set a goal of finishing one project--whatever it may be--every week. And it's not considered cheating if it's a joint project or I get help.

Week 1

The first week of January I didn't finish anything in the sewing room, but with my teenaged sons' and husband's brawn and my planning (read, "brains"), we built a fire pit for our yard. Isn't it awesome? We've already had several fires in it and made s'mores. It is wonderful to sit out under the Milky Way on a cold night and be warmed by the fire.




Week 2

The second week in January was hectic at work and getting Jake ready to fly back to Tucson for Spring Semester at the University of Arizona, so I didn't get much done. I did, however, finish a small bolster pillow for Sam that I had started months ago. I didn't finish it because the pillow casing was too long and I loathed the prospect of ripping out a bunch of stitches. But I finally did it. I love the mustache fabric and so does Sam, who has to shave about once a month now. If you look closely, you can see a shadow of a mustache on the boy's upper lip.


Week 3

Last week I had to say good-bye to Jake for the next several months amidst more hecticness at work. Is "hecticness" a word?! Anyways, while I didn't finish a project during the week, I did have a commission request land in my lap last Monday. I told the client that I would need two months to quilt and bead a wall quilt for his ranch house in Corpus Christi. I am so excited by the prospect. Here are the fabrics I'm considering; I will ask for his input too.



Week 4

Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and instead of doing something worthwhile like volunteering on my day off, I made a book bag for myself. I'll try to do better next year.


The rest of Week 4 will be as hectic as ever at work, what with my having to plan a retirement celebration for an employee while reviewing job applications for that soon-to-occur vacancy. Plus, Sam's track practice started today. He is excited about the season and so are his Dad and I. We can't wait for the 11 seconds of the pure adrenaline of the 100 meter dash.

Luckily, it's just Tuesday night, so I have a few days to figure out what project I'm going to complete this weekend - I would really like to make it through at least the first month of the year with my "one project per week" goal intact. Wish me luck.

Until next week...

2 comments:

Martha Tsihlas said...

Great to see you have accomplished some of your goals! I wished I could say the same. Good luck with your commission, I'm sure it will be great!! Also, me gusta mucho the format of your blog, font, etc...

Diana Ramirez said...

Thanks Martha, I appreciate it.